Monday, June 23, 2008

This is where I have been

Some of you may have read my post on potty training and my relationship with God! Well let me share with you where we are on that front, here in the Pomerleau household!
I praise God for those people who constantly remind me as a mom not to get too crazy about the 'right' time, the 'right' way,etc. As you may remember our first attempt of 'training' Luke didn't get to completion and that was simply because he wasn't quite ready. So I decided to wait... and then this is how it happened.

It was a nice, hot day and we were going to head out to the pool. Since mommy was busy dressing Gabriel for the event, Luke decided just to get himself dressed. In so doing he forgot to put on his little Swimmer diaper. I reminded him and he said 'No mommy, I don't want to wear that'. I quickly got ready to get very motherly and say 'luke...listen to your mom...we need to put this on...blah blah blah'. Instead the thought occurred to me that this may be another opportunity to try the potty thing. After all, it would be so much easier this summer just to teach him how to go over in our 'potty corner' by the pool (boys SURE have it easy in this department). Anyway...I gave him the choice to 1) put on the swimmer diaper or 2) not wear it BUT have to go pee the way big boys do when at the pool (the potty corner). He said he would go pee like a big boy.
With that, we proceeded to the pool and had a great time playing and swimming. AND...Luke enjoyed a very successful day going pee 'like a big boy'. Both in the corner and on the toilet! Praise God that has continued with a few accidents here and there, usually when we are in an unfamiliar setting or there is just so much going on and I'm not able to catch him in time. He really is doing well. I concur with other moms who said 'wait for the summer...it's so easy to just let them run around naked while they learn'.
In terms of the big ol' BM on the toilet...well, he did that one time but I don't think he knew it was coming! That was great...unfortunately the next time he had to go his belly must have been a bit sick b/c (without going in to unwanted descriptives) he was crampy and having some 'blow outs'. So...now we are on day 3 with no poop...I think this part may take a bit longer. That's okay though...
I have to admit I am enjoying this sense of a small piece of freedom almost being handed back to me. Not a big deal right now because I am still changing Gabe's diapers...but hey...to be down to just one in diapers...that's starting to feel good.

So...three cheers for Luke, and you know what? three cheers for MOM...I could've pushed the issue a couple of months ago and I think if I had...there would have been trouble! So, too any moms who are feeling a bit "why isn't this happening yet?"...give it some time!

3 comments:

sanctuaryseeker said...

My daughter had a hard time training for number two. I think the water splashed her or something and it took us forever to get her to try it again. Sounds like you're being as patient as necessary and are a great mom. Keep it up. Great blogs.

BuzzKnitter said...

Sarah, thanks for this... I've been really struggling with my 3 year old because he seems to have no interest, but you've given me a little hope (and peace) to try to be patient and just let it come. :)

Infarrantly Creative said...

are you done with blogging?