Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Potty training and my walk with God

Who knew I could get a picture of my relationship with God as I work to potty train my son. My adorable, fun-loving, almost 3 year old son Luke...I enjoy him so much. Well, I have been looking for the 'right' time to start to potty train him as he approaches his 3rd birthday. I was not convinced that he was quite 'there' yet, but we decided to give it an honest attempt. He worked very hard with me, earning those stickers and m&m's (one for just sitting, three for going pee, and five for the big ol' poop). He really didn't fight me on it, which if I'm honest, I expected him to do. Yet, after two days of what felt like living in the bathroom, and two days of a definite increase in laundry(after the first 3 'accident's ' in a matter of an hour I wised up and let him run around in just the underwear we were wearing during this experiment so as to not have to wash 15 pairs of pants)...well, after all of this I have decided that my little guy just isn't quite there. He's got a jist of it all...but definitely not the whole jist of it. We praised him for a good try, for practicing and have told him that we will have another practice time again...I will wait to see when that time will come again.
How does that give me a picture of my relationship with God? Well, first of all, God never has to wonder if I'm ready for something He wants to share or do with me. He knows me PERFECTLY as He is the One who created me. He longs to reward us for even the smallest of 'achievements', and is so patient with us when he 'mess up' (pun intended). I was quite tired both mentally and physically as I focused in on this one area of Luke's life while trying to attend just as well to the other normal facets of his and his two brothers' lives. Oh and how inadequate I felt. I wanted to be able to give so much time and energy to him in this while giving the same time and energy to everyone/everything else. I'm exhausted again, just writing about it. But how encouraging to me, as one of many children of God, that His time with me is never lacking. His attention to my every detail is never lacking. His awareness of what I need exactly when I need it is so keen. HE IS THE PERFECT PARENT.
I pray that I will attack what He has for me with the same enthusiasm that Luke did for what I had for him. I have all the tools needed in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and in His Word that I must read over and over. Success is guaranteed...I am more than a conqueror, I am on the victory side...I just need to get doing it!

2 comments:

Lula! said...

Soooooooooooooooo awesome. I love that you juxtaposed potty training and God...that just rocks!!!! I needed to read this today, too...so thanks. I LOVE YOU!

Kaley Ehret said...

I will try to keep this in mind as we start the potty training challenge soon. =)