Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More than a bike ride!

Today is my husband's birthday. I hope on this day he was encouraged by how special he is to those around him. Today, I was reminded again of how blessed I am to call him 'mine'.

We had a wonderful evening, just the five of us. A scrumptious dinner and dessert and some gifts. After dinner and the clean-up we decided to head out on our first family bike ride of the year. I LOVE to ride a bike. When Chris was in school at WOLBI I rode often with Nicholas in the baby carrier seat and I so enjoyed it. I don't think Luke really got any riding time in that seat, but he certainly loves to ride his own bike now. This year I was so excited when we were able to head outside for some activity that did not require snow gear that I set out to do some serious bike riding with the boys. Anyway, where was I? Oh...we set out on our first family bike ride.

It was a beautiful night. Blue skies...oh, except for right over there...and as we set out from our driveway we hear thunder. My immediate thought is "oh...we shouldn't do this..stink...the boys will be so disappointed". Chris looked at me and says "what? let's go..." So...off we go! A little more thunder and then a crack of lightning..."ok...that's it...are we even safe out here?" Still, our fearless leader takes us further down the road to our destination. Did I tell you our destination is the nearest movie gallery where we had to drop off the last 3 discs of LOST season 3. It was great we could take care of that errand and have some family fun...except it meant we would be taking our first family bike ride on a route that included some heavy traffic areas, but sidewalks, too. However...I'm a little unsure about how the boys will do. We got to the busy street sidewalk and headed up a slight steady incline. Luke was a trooper...Chris riding between him and the edge of the sidewalk that borders a VERY busy main street in Lewiston. Nicholas, halfway up that road turns around and says "mom, this is CRAZY!" with the biggest grin on his face!

We almost make it to the end of this VERY busy street (I have only yelled out "Be careful...slow down...watch where you're going" a few too many times) and the rain starts. Thankfully the thunder and lightning haven't returned, but the wind had picked up. We pull in to the movie gallery and I think Chris is going to say..."Let's sit here and see if it passes quickly." Instead he runs in and comes back out...looks at me and again says "What...let's get going". So we go! This part of our route involves two fairly decent declines on newly wet pavement. I don't think I was breathing very well at this point. But, the boys don't even seem to notice the rain which was not a heavy downpour, but more of a light downpour if that makes sense? Gabriel was sitting behind me...laughing and giggling and clapping his hands!
We get to our street and the boys 'race' on home...thrilled at the time they had just spent. What a great activity.

This is what I took from that bike ride. Throughout the ride, even from the very beginning, I would see just the slightest opposition and was ready to retreat, ready to just play it safe. Chris, however, urged us on and thankfully we trust him enough to follow. I remember thinking 2, maybe 3 times, that what the boys were enjoying right now wouldn't have ever been if it was up to me. I remember thinking I wouldn't have even enjoyed this activity tonight if it was up to me. We accomplished our task, had some great time of teaching how to do a family bike ride, and had a blast while doing it (inbetween nervous yell-outs to "slow down" or "watch Daddy").

I am SO thankful that God has given me a man who will not just let me retreat. Someone who will urge me on, even when there's resistance. And how much greater for my boys...that they will be urged on to try new things, to see things as possible, and to have fun while trying! I am amazingly blessed that God allows me to be a part of and a recipient of something so wonderful... that is the gift of my husband, Chris.

So, yes...it was a family bike ride...but this ride included some moments of insight for me. Insight to my tendencies and insight to my husband's ways of complimenting those tendencies. Insight to how God took two people each with their own strengths and weaknesses and put them together in a way that I believe can be a tremendous blessing to our three boys if we continue to work together!

Aaaahhh...did you know a bike ride could do all that?

3 comments:

Kaley Ehret said...

love the analogy, sarah--and the picture of your entire family riding bikes in the pouring rain!

happy birthday to chris!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Thanks Sarah, I love when I hear other people talk about their husbands that way. You got a good one! Word verification: mfkpxswi

Lula! said...

OK, happy birthday to Chris, and I love you and your bike riding boys and all...beautiful post, beautiful family.

But girl, you know the one sentence in this post that touched my heart more than any other..."returning Season 3 of Lost on DVD." Awwwwwwwww, yeah. My Sarah is loving Lost and that makes me SO HAPPY. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!