Friday, January 4, 2008

The simple things

I thought I would share one of those precious mom moments. This is not anything grand and amazing in terms of advice or ideas, but sometimes it is nice just to hear some other ideas and what is working for others. So...if you care to hear, feel free to read on. For any mom who is reading this I know you can relate to having many work projects you would like to get done yet not having the block of time to really do the job. Well, one of those projects I have wanted to do is wash down many of the walls in our home. Little fingerprints and splashes of who knows what was beginning to become more obvious and I was desperate to get on task. So I decided that since the temp was too cold for us to go outside yesterday, I needed to do an activity that got our bodies in motion. So, I gave the boys two options...a Christmas card project or washing walls. They chose the walls...and so we got our bucket, our sponges and washed away. We got some serious work done, which I was thankful for. Yet the GREATEST thing gained from this activity was watching and hearing my boys work together on a project, with such pride and excitement. Nicholas was so proud of his work and how high he could reach and Luke just wanted to do what his big brother was doing. Then as I was scrubbing away at a wall, I just stopped to hear them laughing hysterically with each other. They were having such a good time and it was so precious.

Again, this is not anything amazing, but it was one of those moments where mom felt productive... both in her job as mom and in a specific project. Don't be afraid to get your little ones involved in your 'work'...what is great is that they don't view the work with the same 'ugh' that we may...it is a chance for them to be a help, to take pride in an activity, and to really enjoy time together.

I'll give it a couple of days and then I'll try for another wash the walls activity!!!

1 comment:

Lula! said...

Precious story...thanks for sharing. This will be a memory stored in your heart forever. I call this "taking photographs with your heart." Lame, cheesy, and rather Hallmark-ish, but true nonetheless.

But here's the thing...now I'm thinking to myself, "Boy, do I need to wash down some walls and cabinets." Caroline is too young to be trusted with a sponge and such, but maybe I can get Libbey excited??? :)