Wednesday, January 2, 2008

SIBLINGS

I just want to take some time to reflect on three of the greatest relationships I have been blessed with...my relationship with my siblings. This Christmas was such an exciting time for me as I awaited my brothers (Josh and Dan) and my sister (Abi -now a married sister) to return home for some good family time. Though the time is never long enough it was a time that was truly special.
It was a time for my kids to enjoy their 'distant' family. Luke can't stop talking about how Uncle Josh showed him how to dance...Nicholas talks about 'relaxing on Uncle Dan's lap' one night...Gabriel laughs every time he thinks of Aunti Abi sneezing (well...I don't know if he really does, but he sure laughed when he would see/hear her sneeze). My goal this year is to do real work to build these relationships that are there between my kids and their aunt and uncle(s), even though they are far away.
For me...I had the thrill of creating a gift idea for my siblings that helped express my gratefulness for their impact in my life. And I think I did a good job (for my level of imagination). I decorated a wooden box and filled it with scraps of paper. On these scraps I had written specific memories from our childhood. After our annual adult Christmas dinner out we went back to mom and dad's. I gave them their gifts and then we spent the rest of the night talking, laughing, and crying about all that was in the boxes. It was TRULY special!
My parents did a great job and I know it had to be work. Not everyone I know speaks of their siblings in a positive way or with a relationship intact. I thank God SO very much that I have been blessed with three wonderful relationships that I pray will grow as we move on in our lives.
I love you Josh, Dan and Abi!

1 comment:

Lula! said...

I just read this one and all I could think of was you saying, "my brother, Dan" and "my brother, Josh." Like none of us ever knew who you were talking about. I LOVE YOU!!!!